Congratulations, Madonna! The iconic singer and ferocious Leo turns 60 today, 16.08. Since becoming famous in the 1980s, the Queen of Pop has launched trends that have survived decades—not only in music but in fashion and beauty, too.
Who could forget the striking looks from the Confessions on a Dancefloor era? Or the militaristic American Life? Haters gon' hate, but Madge's irresistible voice towers over any naysayer in the form of music's greatest hits, like "Material Girl," "Ray of Light," "Hung Up," "4 Minutes," and more.
So to celebrate her birthday, her the date, we separated 10 little-known facts about Madonna as follows:
1. She was born Madonna Louis Veronica Ciccone in the state of Michigan—her father is Italian and her mother was Canadian. She is the eldest daughter among six children.
2. She made good grades in the classroom and she was also a cheerleader.
3. She studied at the University of Michigan until she gave up everything and moved to New York at age 19 with only $35 in her pocket.
4. Upon arriving in NYC she began working at a Dunkin' Donuts.
5. The first time she appeared in a feature film was in a movie called Desperately Seeking Susan in 1985.
6. It made over $27,398,584 at the box office.
7. Her album True Blue was dedicated to ex-husband Sean Penn.
8. Her list of ex-boyfriends includes Vanilla Ice, Tupac, Jean-Michel Basquiat, John F. Kennedy Jr., Antonio Banderas, Lenny Kravitz, Dennis Rodman and Guy Ritchie.
9. She's been a vegetarian for 15 years.
10. Madonna shares the same Canadian-born ancestor Zacharie Cloutier with other famous personalities: Céline Dion, Camilla Parker-Bowles, and Ellen Degeneres.